LITTLE RED - THE FIRST CURE COTTAGE
TRUDEAU SANATORIUM (COTTAGE SANITORIUM)
TRUDEAU COTTAGE SANATORIUM
TRUDEAU SAN 1909
CHILD MEMORIAL INFIRMARY, TRUDEAU SAN
GENERAL HOSPITAL OF SARANAC LAKE
The General Hospital of Saranac Lake was formally opened on March 11, 1913. It was a gift to the village from Miss Emily Dutton Proctor and her brother, Mr. Redfield Proctor, of Vermont, in memory of Mrs. Jane Hopkins Fairchild and Dr. Norman M. Carter. It held 12 patients and charged ten dollars a week (About what they charge for an aspirin now). In 1936 it was listed by the American College Of Surgeons as a First Class Hospital. The GHSL moved to a new building on Lake Colby Drive in 1965, on a site donated by the Latour Fuel Company. In 1988 it was renovated to include a new pharmacy, imaging unit and surgical suite. In 1991 the GHSL was incorporated as the Adirondack Medical Center. The original hospital is now part of North Country Community College.
RECEPTION HOSPITAL, PRESCOTT HOUSE
The Prescott House was built in 1905 by Mary R. Prescott to house patients who were too sick to be admitted to Trudeau Sanitorium and too poor to receive treatment elsewhere. It still stands on Franklin Avenue and houses NCCC students. Below is a pic of Prescott House taken in the fifties. (Thanx to Jack Vivlamore.)
PRESCOTT HOUSE AS IT LOOKS NOW
SARANAC LAKE STAGECOACH
VIEW OF SARANAC LAKE FROM MOUNT BAKER
LATER VIEW OF SARANAC LAKE
SUMMER VIEW OF SARANAC LAKE FROM BLOOD HILL
AN EARLY WINTER VIEW FROM BLOOD HILL
AN EARLY VIEW FROM BLOOD HILL
1923 VIEW FROM BLOOD HILL
ANOTHER 1923 VIEW FROM BLOOD HILL
A FEW SL POST CARDS
ANOTHER SL POST CARD MALIGNING DUTCH-AMERICANS
SL BIRDSEYE VIEW
SARANAC LAKE CURLING CLUB AND THE ARMORY ON RIVER STREET
SKATING RACES AT THE PONTIAC BAY RINK
PONTIAC CLUB 1909 POSTCARD
This unique postard, postmarked January 26, 1909, has a real felt banner. The message on the back says the ice palace is half completed.
SARANAC LAKE BEACH-PRESCOTT PARK 1960's 1
SARANAC LAKE BEACH-PRESCOTT PARK 1960's 2
SARANAC LAKE BEACH-PRESCOTT PARK 1950's
SARANAC LAKE BEACH-PRESCOTT PARK 1940's
SARANAC LAKE BEACH-PRESCOTT PARK 1940's
THOMAS BOAT LANDING
THOMAS BOAT LANDING RENTALS
THOMAS BOAT LANDING TOUR
NANCY CAROL PADDLEWHEEL AKA RIVER QUEEN
SAILBOATS ON LOWER SARANAC LAKE
LAKE FLOWER CABINS
BROWN'S MOTEL LAKE FLOWER AVE.--$1.00 A NIGHT!
NORTHWOODS SANATORIUM - 9-9 1/2 CHURCH STREET
LAMBO'S MOTEL LAKE FLOWER AVE.(NOW THE CASA DEL SOL)
ST NICK'S MOTEL WHICH BECAME THE RED FOX THEN BURNED DOWN ON 3/4/03 AND HAS NOW REOPENED
THE RIVERSIDE INN
John J. Miller built this hotel around 1860. It was bought by Orlando Blood in 1865 and opened on the fourth of July of that year with a huge party. It was called "Blood's Hotel" for several years. It was leased to Charles H. Kendall in 1883 and in 1886 it was subleased to George A. Berkley, who, while tending bar, was killed by an angry customer, a guide named Charlie Brown. The hotel was then bought by Wallace Murray, enlarged, and renamed "The Riverside Inn". It was then sold to a Mr. Pine and Mr. Corbett. Corbett died in 1911 and Pine operated it well into the "Roaring 20's". It was torn down in 1935.
RIVERSIDE INN 1911
RIVERSIDE INN 1
RIVERSIDE INN 2
RIVERSIDE INN 3
RIVERSIDE INN 4
RIVERSIDE INN 5
RIVERSIDE INN FROM THE LAKE
RIVERSIDE PARK, WHERE RIVERSIDE INN ONCE STOOD
THE HARRIETSTOWN TOWN HALL
THE HARRIETSTOWN TOWN HALL 2
LINWOOD COTTAGE- NOW SEARS PARKING LOT
REMEMBER WOOLWORTHS? WHERE SEARS NOW STANDS
THIRD POST OFFICE LOCATION
This building later contained a Grand Union grocery store and then Meyer's Drug Store. Meyer’s Drug Store was destroyed by fire on Nov. 18, 1958. A one story building was then erected on the lot to house the drug store. Meyer's Gifts was located there until 2007. At the moment the building is vacant.
Here's an inside shot of the Bijou.
MAIN STREET LOOKING NORTH 1
MAIN STREET LOOKING NORTH 2
MAIN STREET LOOKING NORTH 3
MAIN STREET LOOKING NORTH 4
MAIN STREET LOOKING NORTH 5
MAIN STREET LOOKING NORTH 6
MAIN STREET LOOKING NORTH 7
MAIN STREET LOOKING SOUTH 1
MAIN STREET LOOKING SOUTH 2
MAIN STREET LOOKING SOUTH 3
ADIRONDACK NATIONAL BANK
SL'S FIRST TRAFFIC LIGHT
ANOTHER VIEW OF THE TRAFFIC LIGHT
LEONARDS CLOTHING STORE
LEONARDS CLOTHING STORE 2
MAIN STREET LOOKING WEST 1
MAIN STREET LOOKING WEST 2
MAIN STREET LOOKING WEST 3
LOOKING WEST IN WINTER--ICE PYRAMID
ANOTHER LOOK WEST IN WINTER--ICE PYRAMID
A CLOSER LOOK
ANOTHER VIEW-ICE PYRAMID AT BERKLEY SQUARE
MAIN STREET LOOKING SOUTHWEST
SARANAC LAKE FREE LIBRARY
Built in 1910
OLD SLHS AS IT LOOKED IN 1917
IT WAS DEMOLISHED IN 1926 WHEN PETROVA SCHOOL OPENED. THE HOTEL SARANAC NOW STANDS IN THAT SPOT.
The Petrova School was built in 1925 to replace the old high school where the Hotel Saranac is now located. In 1969 the new high school on the LaPan Highway opened and the Petrova school is now the Elementary and Middle School.
HOTEL SARANAC 1
HOTEL SARANAC 2
HOTEL SARANAC 3
HOTEL SARANAC 4
HOTEL SARANAC 5
HOTEL SARANAC DINING ROOM
HOTEL SARANAC LOBBY
HOTEL SARANAC HALLOWEEN DANCE TICKET
BERKLEY HOTEL, BUILT IN 1876 BY MILO MILLER. BURNED DOWN IN 1981
BERKLEY HOTEL 1
BERKLEY HOTEL 2
BERKLEY HOTEL 3
BERKLEY HOTEL MONTAGE
LOOKING DOWN BERKLEY HILL ON "BASEBALL DAY"
Thanks to Robert Reid
LOOKING DOWN BERKLEY HILL
LOOKING DOWN BERKLEY HILL 1910
LOOKING DOWN BERKLEY HILL AGAIN 1913
LOOKING UP BERKLEY HILL 1
LOOKING UP BERKLEY HILL 2
A LATER LOOK UP BERKLEY HILL
TRUDEAU LAB AT 7 CHURCH STREET
Built in 1894.
LOOKING TOWARD BAKER 1929
THE CHURCHES OF SARANAC LAKE
CHURCH STREET WITH PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
CHURCH STREET FROM ST. BERNARD STREET
ST LUKE'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH (Built in 1879.)
ST LUKE'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH AT NIGHT
This dramatic shot is of the burning of Saranac Lake's first Catholic Church. It was built in 1893. It burned on St. Patrick's Day 1909.
FIRST CATHOLIC CHURCH FIRE
On June 14, 1910 the cornerstone for the St Bernards Church was laid. This Church was to replace the wooden building which was built in 1893 and had gone up in flames on St Patricks Day of 1909. Inside the hollowed out marble cornerstone was a copper box with records and data of the church. On the outside of the stone was the inscription, "ECCLESIA S. BERNARDI". Beneath that was a Roman cross and under that was the date, MCMIX. (I wonder where that ended up?) Bishop Henry Gabriels, (who Gabriels San was named after) Rev. Bernard Marron, (pastor of St. Mary's Church at Potsdam, which St. Bernard's was patterned after) and 21 other priests officiated. The only difference in the two churches is that St. Mary's Church, in Potsdam, was made of sandstone blocks and St. Bernards was built from Vermont marble.
ST BERNARD'S CATHOLIC CHURCH
The second Catholic Church was designed by Saranac Lake architects Coulter and Westhoff and built by Tanzini Construction with expert stonemason Faravonti Saroni doing the stonework for the altar. It was open for services on November 30th 1911 and completed in 1912. This one burned on December 5th,1967.
GOVERNOR AL SMITH AT ST BERNARD'S CATHOLIC CHURCH
SARANAC LAKE FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Built in 1893.
CALVIN COOLIDGE AT THE SARANAC LAKE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH,1926
SARANAC LAKE FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
Chas. Bolton and Sons of Philadelphia designed the Saranac Lake First United Methodist Church, which was opened in 1927. It was built by Tanzini Construction.
BROADWAY IN THE 50'S
Broadway circa 1909
LOOKING TOWARD BERKLEY SQUARE FROM BROADWAY
Around 1900. The post office of today is now situated on the right. It was the location of Tuffield LaTour's livery stable and home at the time of this pic. It was later owned by Antoine Fortune Jr., who sold it for $18,500 in 1916. There is 144 ft of frontage on Broadway and 175 ft on Olive Street.
INTERIOR OF TUFFY'S TAVERN WHICH WAS OPERATED BY TUFFY LATOUR IN THE THOMPSON BUILDING
Henry Ricketson, who built the Alpine Hotel, was a go-getter with businesses and land holdings in Malone, Plattsburg, Tupper Lake and Saranac Lake. By the way the building was supplied with pure, clean water from an artesian well. The well is now underneath the village owned parking lot where the buiding once stood. The village fathers should check this out in their quest for a backup water supply. The top two stories of the Alpine were never completed.
THE HOTEL ALPINE
HOTEL ALPINE 2
THE ALPINE GANG
This classic photo was taken just before the Hotel Alpine was demolished. Wearing hard hats, three colorful friends, Little Joe Gladd, of Little Joe's Cocktail Lounge, Joe Isabella, Hotel Alpine owner and Chuck Pandolph of Chuck's Bar enjoy a quick shot outside on the sidewalk. This was an obvious violation of the village's "open container" law. Naturally, their old buddy, Bill McLaughlin took the photo.
This Enterprise clipping tells of Benny Banker's climb up the side of the Alpine
THE ALPINE CLIMB
THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY
Benny had earlier in the week been barred from the St. Regis Hotel bar, which was then called The Green Room, by Little Joe Gladd, who was tending bar there at the time. Little Joe later operated his own infamous bar on Main Street for many years. The afternoon of the climbing incident Benny had begged Little Joe to serve him again. Joe refused and Benny said, "If I climb to the top of the Alpine will you serve me?"
Little Joe, thinking that Benny was bluffing, said, "OK!"
After Benny came down to earth he asked Chuck if he could have just one beer at the St. Regis bar before being taken into custody. Life was more laid back at that time and Chuck waited patiently for Benny to finish his beer before arresting him.
ST REGIS HOTEL-BUILT IN LATE 1800's-ADDED UNTO IN 1911-BURNED IN 1963
ST REGIS HOTEL-1800's
ST REGIS HOTEL-1800's 2
ST REGIS HOTEL-BEFORE 1911
ST REGIS HOTEL- AFTER 1911
ST REGIS HOTEL MONTAGE
ST REGIS HOTEL BROCHURE
ST REGIS HOTEL LETTERHEAD-1920's
(People suffering from tuberculosis will not be taken.)
ST REGIS HOTEL FIRE, 1963
GRAND UNION HOTEL, WHERE STEWARTS NOW STANDS
Betters Hill, is located on Kiwassa Road near the Branch Farm Road. The first rope tow in Saranac Lake was installed there in 1940. Tom Cantwell and Bob DeMars took the back wheels off an old ambulance and attached the rope to the axle.
SKIING AT BETTER'S HILL SKI AREA IN SARANAC LAKE
THE ALTAVISTA LODGE, FRANKLIN AVE - BURNED IN 1960
HAMER'S TOURIST HOME AT 60 LAKE FLOWER AVENUE
ST. JOE'S FRIARY
St. Joseph's Friary, a four acre estate, was built in 1929 at an assesed cost of $250,000. It was occupied by a number of tenants, including John H. Dunnigan, Gerald Murphy and, in 1936, star of stage and screen, Wendy Barrie. In 1937 it was known as the Rumsey Estate and owned by Auguste G. Hannon who, that year, donated it to the Saranac Lake Society For the Control Of Tuberculosis. In 1939 it was sold to the Franciscan Friars, who opened a seminary there that September.
ST JOSEPH'S FRIARY
ST JOSEPH'S FRIARY 2
HESSELTINE'S MILK BAR, LAKE COLBY
THE CRESTAURANT, LATER CHUCK'S BAR AT CRESCENT BAY
THE ELK INN - 34 ALGONQUIN - EARLY 20'S - R.C. WILSON, PROPRIETOR
RAY BROOK GOLF LINKS
LEANING PINE OF PAUL SMITH'S
THE BIRCHES OF RAY BROOK
DURGAN'S COURT, BEHIND "DURGAN'S RESTAURANT" AND LATER "CLUB 86"
THE AMPERSAND HOTEL
Built in 1888, and located on the opposite shore of the Algonquin, The Ampersand was a top notch hotel and vacation destination. Located on it's 450 acres were tennis courts, golf course, croquet, boating marina and amenities associated with the best resorts of today, with the exception of Wi-Fi internet access. The hotel burned on the night of September 23, 1907 while it was owned by the Little Family. In 1920 the land was sold to S.D. Matthews, president of Filmart Labs, a movie production company, by previous owner, Charles M. Eaton. It was run as a private club and speakeasy for several years.
AMPERSAND HOTEL 2
AMPERSAND HOTEL 3
AMPERSAND HOTEL 4
THE ALGONQUIN HOTEL
This is quoted from Alfred Donaldson's "A History Of The Adirondacks":
"It is situated in Franklin County, on a commanding eminence at the easterly end of Lower Saranac Lake. The view from it is of great breadth and beauty, and it has long been one of the most popular summer resorts in the mountains.
It was built in 1884, by Jabez D. Alexander, and for several years bore his name. (THE ALEXANDER HOUSE) It was purchased in 1890 by Mr. John Harding, (ELECTED MAYOR OF SL IN 1906) who had been connected for many years with Paul Smith's Hotel.
Mr. Harding called his new purchase "THE ALGONQUIN" and made for it the reputation which it has long enjoyed.
In the spring of 1913 it was leased to a syndicate who converted it to a sanatorium for the Friedmann treatment of tuberculosis.
During the previous winter Dr. Friedman of Berlin had made copy of all the newspapers by announcing that he had discovered a turtle serum that was highly efficient in the cure of tuberculosis.
Around his name and his claim a wordy warfare began to rage. Later the German doctor visited America and sold the bottling rights of his cure to an American syndicate.
An outgrowth of this was the leasing of the Algonquin and the advertising of it as "The Lower Saranac Health Resort." The venture proved ill-advised and ephemeral. It closed its doors abruptly, and without honor, on January, 21, 1914; and the hotel's brief career as a sanatorium passed into history.
It was reopened by Mr. Harding in 1915, and has since been run by various lessees. In 1920 it was bought by William N. Hanes of Winston-Salem, N.C." The hotel was later sold to Ed Guggenheim and demolished in 1958."
(Yes, William N. Hanes was the underwear magnate!)
THE ALGONQUIN HOTEL
THE ALGONQUIN HOTEL 1
THE ALGONQUIN HOTEL 2
THE ALGONQUIN HOTEL 3
THE ALGONQUIN HOTEL 4
THE ALGONQUIN HOTEL 5
THE ALGONQUIN HOTEL 6
VIEW FROM ALGONQUIN HOTEL
THE GREAT WAWBEEK HOTEL
THE GREAT WAWBEEK HOTEL 2
"THE NATIONAL VARIETY ARTISTS HOSPITAL" WAS OPENED IN 1930. IT HOUSED ENTERTAINERS WHO WERE AFFLICTED WITH TB. IT WAS RENAMED "WILL ROGERS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL" IN MEMORY OF WILL, WHO DIED IN A PLANE CRASH WITH WILEY POST ON AUGUST 15, 1935. IT'S NOW A HOME FOR SENIOR CITIZENS AND WAS RENAMED "SARANAC VILLAGE".
WILL ROGERS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL
WILL ROGERS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL FROM ABOVE
RAYBROOK STATE SANATORIUM WAS OPENED IN 1904 AND ENLARGED IN 1910. THE TRAIN STATION WAS RIGHT ON THE HOSPITAL GROUNDS. THE SANATORIUM WAS FREE TO ALL NYS RESIDENTS. IN 1946 IT WAS RENAMED RAY BROOK STATE TUBERCULOSIS HOSPITAL. IN 1980 IT WAS THE WINTER OLYMPIC VILLAGE AND HOUSED THE ATHLETES. IT WAS RUN AS A WOMEN'S DRUG FACILITY FOR A SHORT TIME AFTER AND IT IS NOW A STATE PRISON CALLED THE ADIRONDACK CORRECTIONAL FACILITY OR CAMP ADIRONDACK.
EARLY HOSPITAL TENTS
RAY BROOK SAN IN 1906
THE RAY BROOK TRAIN STATION
1000 ANIMALS BROCHURE
THE 1000 ANIMALS 1
THE 1000 ANIMALS 2
THE 1000 ANIMALS 3 (RUDI'S VERSION)